Saturday, February 25, 2006

This is what matters in life.

My parents came up for the weekend. They wanted to see me again before I spend 10 days helping the Haitian refugees in the Dominican Republic. This got me thinking about life and what really matters. I can tell you what matters: Family. Last year, while in Haiti, I learned a very valuable lesson. When you meet a person in Haiti they always say three things: Hello. How are you? How's your family? They, in their "simple" lifestyle, have discovered happiness. They realize that if your family is doing well then there is nothing you should worry about or complain about.

I, however, almost learned this lesson too late. While I was in Haiti my grandfather went into the hospital and the doctors told him he had 2 weeks to live. Oh how I wished I could have spent more time with him listening and learning. I cried and I prayed. By God's grace he was given more time on this earth. Instead of living for 2 weeks, he has now been alive and (relatively) healthy for almost a year.

So now, on this one year anniversary, I shall once again be traveling to a third world country to help those in physical need, but also so they can help all of us with our emotional and spiritual needs. We will be giving them food and medical supplies and housing, but they will be giving us much more: They will be giving us a purpose, a meaning, a reason for caring, and most importantly showing us how to love unconditionally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home